Saturday, February 23, 2013

Miss My's Dutch Rice Pudding Pie

Today I made Dutch Rice Pudding Pie (in Holland it is called Rijstevlaai) and it was delicious. I haven't been to Holland in years and I miss a lot of Dutch foods one of them being Rijstevlaai. In Holland I buy my Rijstevlaai but you can't get anything similar in Finland so I decided to find a recipe and make it myself. The dough didn't quite turn out the way I expected (I was too impatient so the dough didn't rise as much as it should have) but the rice filling was so creamy, rich, comforting and my idea of heaven. I made Rijstevlaai using the following recipe:

For the Pudding


9 dl milk
200 gr dessert rice, round-grained rice
16 gr vanilla sugar
100 gr sugar
2 eggs, yolks and white separated


For the Dough


1 dl milk, warm
20 gr fresh yeast
25 gr sugar
225 gr flour
1 tbsp salt
75 gr butter, soft


In a saucepan let the milk cook over high heat as soon as it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low while adding the rice, sugar and vanilla sugar. Let it cook for another 25 - 30 mins or until it reaches a creamy texture

In the meantime, warm up the milk for the dough, over low heat, while adding the yeast and sugar, stir until it dissolves.

In a bowl, combine the flour and salt while making a little well in the middle where you can pour the dissolved yeast, start kneading while adding the soft butter.

Place the dough ball in a dry and warm place for 30 mins or until it reaches almost double its size.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees

Once the rice is done let it cool down for a bit, whisk the egg yolks and stir them under the rice.

Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and peaky and fold half of the content under the rice, the other half will be used just before the pie goes into the oven.

Pat down the dough and roll it out into a nice circle, a little bit bigger than your actual pie plate.

Once the dough is covering nicely your pie plate, divide the rice filling equally and use now the left-over egg whites while brushing it on the dough sticking out and on the creamy rice filling, to give it that golden brown colour once the pie is done. 
To make it look nice I top it with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Bliss.


It should look like this but mine didn't. It tasted great though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate